Today, I'm horsing around with blogger, trying to find the most efficient way to achieve my blog's look. The new iMac is making this so much fun!
Sooo, we're going to take a little time warp with some older work. Featured are two banners I made for church events:
This banner background was handpainted with thickened mx dyes. The 'LIFE' letters are also handpainted cotton. The cross is very coarse raw silk, dyed to a rich plumb. I still have scraps of said silk that I can't seem to throw away.
Now this was cool to make! The black and white drawing of Peter and Jesus came from some Bible study material. I brought it to life with color. It was made in conjunction with a week-long Bible study. For each day's theme, I added an element of the picture. The image was complete by the end of the week, but it didn't get quilted for a while (read "too embarrassed to admit how long it sat unquilted). To add to the madness, participants brought in fabrics. One friend of mine, knowing I love color, brought in some bright orange. Very funny.
A little careful thread painting had a huge impact on the depth of this image. My only regret is a serious lack of flatness at the bottom. So far, I'm the only one who's noticed.